How to Choose Your Tarot Deck & Getting Started


There are a crazy number of Tarot decks available to us nowadays. Even our little local spirit bookstore and Barnes and Noble carry an incredible number of decks, including the once obscure Cats and Zombie Tarot decks.

So, when you're just starting out (or even if you're a seasoned reader), how do you choose which deck is right for you?



First things first, some readers believe that you can't buy your own Tarot deck. That's simply not true.

 

It's OK to purchase your own deck.

Most Tarot beginners choose to start with the classic Rider Waite deck, and I would recommend always having it on hand if you decide to pursue reading cards. Some readers refer to it as a "beginner" deck, but the truth is that it's THE classic Tarot deck, the most commonly used and well-known deck on the market. It also has rich symbolism that will boost your intuition. Therefore, learning with this deck gives you experience with those common symbols. If you join a study group, most likely you will be working with and discussing these cards.

 

Stylized Tarot Decks

I refer to all the "newer" Tarot decks as stylized decks, as shown in the images above. This is where your journey gets more fun, in my opinion. As you learn the symbols in The Rider Waite deck, and what they mean to you and your own intuition, it's fun to add a stylized deck to your collection. I'm really drawn to the early 1900s, when spiritualism in Vermont (my home state) was prevalent. So, I chose my Tarot (and Oracle and Lenormand) decks based on that style. Sure, it's fun to have a variety of decks to choose from, especially when you're reading for friends who may want to try the Zombie deck, for example, but for your first deck, after Rider Waite, I recommend choosing a design that resonates with beautiful you. If you connect to the imagery, and you simply like it and enjoy looking at the images, you'll have more fun with your readings, and your intuition will kick in too. That's right, if you want the Cats Tarot as your second deck, go for it! No judgment here!

 

What's Next?

I recommend starting a Tarot Journal next! You don't need anything fancy -- just a sturdy notebook that you can carry with you. I use a journal-sized book that will easily fit into a purse. Start with one-card draws to get familiar with your deck, and write down the card you pull. Then, note the imagery in the card and what you think it means to you. You don't have to refer to the book meaning of cards, you can work based on your own intuition. Your brain, higher self, and spirit guides will help you find the meanings that resonate most with you. Remember, this is all about positivity and growth. So, if you pull a negative card, trust that it is about change or growth, not death or destruction. I also usually focus on one day at a time, so I can review my journal entries at the end of each day, or the next day, and see where my intuition was spot on or inaccurate.


Sample Questions (One-Card Draws)


  • What do I need to focus on today?
  • Which challenges might I face today?
  • How can I cope with this specific challenge?
  • How can I improve my relationship with...?
  • How can I better focus my concentration?
  • How can I live a healthier life today?
  • How can I boost my intuition?
  • Who can help me?
  • How can I be more productive?
  • How can I focus on happiness today?

Join Us

We'd love to have you share your insight, your learning journey, and your journal ideas with us! You can join me, and others on the same journey, in our closed Facebook group, Willows East Tarot and Lenormand.